DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database refresh

database refresh

i need to refresh one of the development database using exp/imp which i never did before i know the concept like taking full export(full=y) when importing back to target m/c 'X' i need to have a database for that i need to create one with all tablespaces having same size?do i need to wipe out the old database(development) from m/c 'x' so as to import back into it.after that just import with ignore=y but wat bout indexes do i need to rebuild them? please if someone has steps for it help me out.

Thanks

why not just take a backup and use that , so much easier

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    why not just take a backup and use that , so much easier
    He could even do a cold backup and script the restore process whether it is Windows, Linux or Unix.

Answering the original question
    1) You need to have a database to import.
    2) You dont need to drop existing database and create a new one.You can import into existing DB.Truncate(to avoid unique constraint violations) the tables and import with ignore=y
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Quote Originally Posted by simply_dba
    1) You need to have a database to import.
    yes you do need a database to import into

i have the db already so only thing i should do is to truncate the tables and then import data back into it,but what if the db structure got changed like new daatfile added to source does the import fails with full=y?

Quote Originally Posted by nisha
    i have the db already so only thing i should do is to truncate the tables and then import data back into it,but what if the db structure got changed like new daatfile added to source does the import fails with full=y?
    you need study more on exp/imp utilities and oracle architecture.
    Import utlity is unaffected by any physical change of the database as long as the users concerned have a default tablespace and suffcient quotas on these tablespaces. Any new object in the import dump file will be duly created by the import utility.
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA