Hi,
I've tried to install Oracle 10g XE-UNIV on my pc with Fedora Core 5. The installation process (rpm -ivh oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm) is done without problems. Then when I try to do /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure I get this:
Starting Oracle Net Listener...Done
Configuring Database...grep: /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/log/*.log: No such file or directory
Done
/bin/chmod: cannot access `/usr/lib/oracle/xe/oradata/XE': No such file or directory
/bin/chmod: cannot access `/usr/lib/oracle/xe/oradata/XE': No such file or directory
Starting Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Instance...Done
Installation Completed Successfully.
To access the Database Home Page go to "http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex"

I set Environment variables by the
. /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin/oracle_env.sh
They are OK.
When I check manulay listener status I get info that listener is not running, but it is possible to run it manulay by lsnrctl. However it is not possible tu run mannulay the database. I am getting this error:
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/dbs/initXE.ora'
I looked to this directory and there was only init.ora. I copied it to initXE.ora but I got another error:
ORA-00371: not enough shared pool memory, should be atleast 62198988 bytes
So I changed this parameter in initXe.ora to be large enough, but then I go this:
ORA-00205: error in identifying control file, check alert log for more info
I checked log alerts and it is written there:
ORA-00202: control file: '/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/dbs/ora_control1'
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
Additional information: 3
Mon Nov 13 19:46:12 2006
ORA-205 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE MOUNT...
I was visting a lot a of intenet pages and forums to solve this problem, but I am a novice i those matters. In my opinion problem is caused by the first error which shows up during configuratoin process but I am not sure. Can somebody help me with this. I will be very gratefull.