DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I need your Help...

Arrow I wanna convert window platform to Linux ..

Dear All:

It will be really helpful to me if any one let me know or give me advice that I am working Oracle database 8i on O/S- window 2000 server environment. Now I got change to working a large company and their server is big and large they using O/S Linux -9 and Oracle-10g. If any one let me know shall I go and start work with them..? If yes then which techniques shall I used to manage the server..?? They have only one database in the country where all regional access will be done.

Thanks All:

M.A. Samad
    Last edited by Abdus.samad; 11-16-2006 at 03:24 AM.

Any on there to help me out in this regards...???

samad
    Last edited by Abdus.samad; 11-16-2006 at 03:30 AM.

I think that this is more the topic of a training course than a forum answer, Abdus.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Dear,
    how can one answer this question?
    If you are smart enough, willing to study and learn, hard worker, motivated and responcible,then I belive you will be able to handle any job ( By any I mean ANY even not Oracle related and even not IT related - say become a marketing manager)
    "I work on Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows" could mean that you use RMAN to make hot backups, you have made lots of performance tununing etc. what would mean you are a good dba, and also could mean that you have imported from time to time some dmp provided to you, what would mean that you have no idea what's going on.
    From your post I would say that you are not very experienced, so it is up to you if you want to take the challange, spend several hard monts studing, reading trough the nights etc. or not. Especially if you are not the only DBA but a junior member of a DBA team, then I do not see any other issue here, than the question do you really want to do it or not

Quote Originally Posted by Abdus.samad
    Dear All:

It will be really helpful to me if any one let me know or give me advice that I am working Oracle database 8i on O/S- window 2000 server environment. Now I got change to working a large company and their server is big and large they using O/S Linux -9 and Oracle-10g. If any one let me know shall I go and start work with them..? If yes then which techniques shall I used to manage the server..?? They have only one database in the country where all regional access will be done.

Thanks All:

M.A. Samad
    OK, let me switch to sherlock holmes mode and do some analysis and deduction.

1) When you say "large",it implies that you will not be the only DBA,in fact, you will a DBA team member.
    2) The usual recruitment process is two or more rounds of technical interview.Assuming that you have cleared them successfully and you don't know anything about Oracle 10G or Linux, it can be deduced that they have not asked any such questions related to aboce topic ==> they are not expecting an experianced guy in these topics, and they don't expect you to start delivering from the instant you join..Furthermore it can also be deduced that they already have some senior guys handling the systems presently.
    So they are going to teach you what you don't know.
    3) As oracle 8 has been desupported by Oracle corp.(In fact, oracle 9i will be desuppported by July next year), the probabilty of finding jobs on these versions is becoming less and less.It also implies sooner or later you will also have to start on Oracle 10G.

Elementary, my dear samad. Elementary.
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

Thanks for all reply here i will try to hard study and spent more time to become good DBA by this site (dbasupport.com) its really its greate site to learn and served in the real world.

thanks all:

samad