DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: growing table

Talking

I have one single table in the database that I have been inserting data into. I think it's growing gradually. Is there any easiest and simple way to find out if it is reaching the maximum space allocated to it(e.g. either using dba views or V$ tables or any other easy way)?

still learning,
    learning

[Edited by learn on 12-25-2000 at 11:04 AM]

Hi,
    Yes, it's possible. You can find how many extents are in use by a table. Check the DBA_Extents and Dba_segments view to get results.

Thanks
    GK

another thing you can do is analyze the table (analyze table xxx compute statistics) and then look in dba_ or all_tables. (select * from all_tables where owner = 'xxx' and table_name = 'yyy').

you will see stats in there about # of rows, blocks, empty blocks, etc.

If you build a table to store these results every time you do an anlyze (insert into... select * from dba_tables where owner = 'xxx' and table_name = 'yyy') then pretty soon you can see how the table changes over time.

hope this helps,
    John

Check [url]http://www.lacroe.com/code_lib/index.html[/url] There is a downloadable
    script there called "check_daily", it has scritps that will help you monitor
    your database on a day to day basis. It also contains scripts to list tables
    that are nearing max extents etc..

check it out...