DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error on fresh install of 10.2.0.1 on Windows XP

Error on fresh install of 10.2.0.1 on Windows XP

Hi Guys,

I have just installed 10.2.0.1 on my laptop which is running on Windows XP. I have just installed the software and that went through fine. However, when I try and connect via sqlplus i get this error:

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Nov 2 11:56:54 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: /as sysdba
    ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error

I have also got 9i running (i am trying to upgrade to 10g via the import/export method), but the PATHS and all point to the correct 10g home. Is this an error with sqlnet.ora? These are the settings currently:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

Any help will greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chucks_k

is the service running

Hi Davey,

Thanks for that, yes that was the problem. I have created the service and I can log in now. On another tangent, i have to upgrade our 9i db to 10g. Is export/import the easiet way of doing it? If so do you have a step by step guide on performing it? I have done via running the upgrade scripts in a Unix env but would like to have the dbs running in parrallel. i.e 9i and 10g running at the same time with the same base data?

Thanks in advance,
    Chucksk

Just as a further point, will i be able to create the new 10g db with the same sid as the 9i one? I am inclined to think not!

You can have both named the same, as Oracle uses a DB ID to identify a database as opposed to the name (this came in, I believe, with 9i) - hence the utility to change a Db's ID.

However, the problem then comes in the user identifying which Db it is he wants to log on to - the only way you could do this (if both are on the same server) is for each Db to have a different alias, which defeats the point of them having the same name!

To upgrade your Db, why not use the Upgrade Assistant?

no you cant as you need a service for each one and oracle names the services the same for every version.

So you would end up with two windows services the same name, thats why you cant have that one the same server

davey...i'm really confused what Chuck is trying to do.
    As what I understood he wanted to set-up 2 databases, 9i & 10g
    Why does he need to make it the same SID when you can
    manipulate it in the TNSNAMES.ora, i mean SID or DBnames are
    immaterial here. The application does not look physically at the DB
    SID buy logically at the client's NET config.
    So Chuckie dear, just create the 2 databases with different name/sid
    and you can still do your parallel testing.
    Last edited by yxez; 11-03-2006 at 04:47 AM.
    Behind The Success And Failure Of A Man Is A Woman

That's the point I was trying to make (in a roundabout way) - the Dbs can be called what you like, provided you can identify them separately in the TNSNames.ora file.

However I also agree with davey23uk's point (which I hadn't considered ) - the Windows services would both be called the same, which isn't allowed.

to put it simply (i hope), oracle on its own would let you have two sid the same in different oracle_homes, but oracle combined with windows here wont let you.

Hi Guys,
    I juts joined the forum and saw this interesting discussion
    Actually there is nice mechanism called "services" to overcome such problems.
    Each instance (at lest in 10g) gets registered to the listener using the service names encountered in the parameter service_names. Later, in the tnsnames.ora or wherever you use SID to connect to the database you can use the service name. The service name however is just a string and same instance can export several service names. The service name can be changed by changing the parameter mentioned above ( although the parameter is static) and has nothing to deal with the Windows service name, nor with the process names in UNIX nor with the database name.

Regards
    Boris