DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How default Home is set in Windows Oracle Client?

How default Home is set in Windows Oracle Client?

In my windows xp client machine, I do not find %ORACLE_HOME% is set. I tried echo as well as env and that do not list the ORACLE_HOME. Hence, I saw the regedit which has got three oracle homes, 8.06, 9.20 and another 9.2 (with forms and reports). The default home is set as 8.06, but my client sqlplus and toad is taking the TNSNAMEs from 9.2 home.

When I tried installing 10g, oops, I could not set the tnsnames properly and sqlplus client is not working!

I am confused about these settings as I need to set this whenever I need different client to talk to different database. I am not a dba, but using oracle applications long time. Hence, I understand the concepts, tnsnames, and the setups etc..

Can anyone guide me the details? Please let me know where to look out for correct information, like web pages and client setups?

Thanks
    Last edited by jayg; 11-02-2006 at 05:09 AM.
    Jayg

Fun Programming with Oracle & Visual C++, Author of www.lightsql.com.

could net set tnsnames properly? whats that supposed to mean

why isnt sqlplus working, whats the error what problems are you actually having apart from 'it doesnt work'

Well for me, If I have many ORACLE HOMES and if I want to use
    which home is to get, I just edit my system PATH and type the
    directory at the begining my choice oracle home
    Behind The Success And Failure Of A Man Is A Woman

First I installed oracle 11i in my PC which has created Oracle homes for 8.0.6 and 9.2 in a different OFA Structure. By default oracle_home in registry is 8.0.6 and application runs fine. When I wanted to connect to other databases, I could not exactly get the place where my tnsnames it is looking and it came with errors (TNSNAMES not found). Hence, I installed another home for 9.2 client and modified the tnsnames within. I am able to connect the external servers and internal applications.

I know that this is not a proper way, but adhoc workaround. If I set system path, my 11i application will not startup or work properly. Hence, I wanted to how oracle is looking the home, whether using registry or system path which has high precedence over another.

Thanks
    Jayg

This is giving REP-0501: Unable to connect to the specified database (Report error) and next ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name. I have given same copy of TNSNAMES in all the three tnsnames.ora file.

Jayg
    Jayg

well your tnsnames file is wrong then