DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Solution - Distributed Clients using Forms 6i & Single Instance to RAC

Question Solution - Distributed Clients using Forms 6i & Single Instance to RAC

Hi All. We are using Oracle Forms 6i Application. We have about 15 locations from where people use this application which connects to a Central Database in the Head Office. The database version is Oracle 10.2.0.4, but a Single Instance database.

Now, we want to move to RAC and the RAC database is already setup. Though Forms 6i does'nt support TAF, we would like to use atleast the Connection Failover feature using the entry in tnsnames.ora.
    But, the problem is that the Host String is mentioned in the Login Form and the corresponding entry is present in the tnsnames.ora of all the 300+ clients distributed in different locations.

So, to use the new RAC Database Instances(2 Node Setup) we have to modify all the tnsnames.ora files and this can't be done at once as they are distributed. This is a 24*7*365 Application. Ofcourse we can request for Maintenance Downtime of 3 to 4 hours in the mid-night but not more than that. We found a solution to this problem. In this we can push the tnsnames.ora file from our Systems Management Server to all the clients in the domain as this tnsnames.ora is located in same place in all clients. We have not tried yet, though theoretically it's possible.

But, this is not a permanent solution. Suppose, if we have to change the tnsnames.ora file again, then, we have to push it again and again which is a complicated one. I mean for every small change in tnsnames.ora, it's difficult to change in the clients distributed remotely.

So, I would like to know if there are any ways by which we can eliminate this problem.

regards,
    Dileep

use a central file which you only have to update in one place

Hai Davey.
    Thanks. Could be more clear on "use a central file which you only have to update in one place "

regards,
    Dileep

have one file, in a central place which all the clients reference

therefore you only need to update one

He was told about this on a different web site several days ago. Still fishing around it looks like.