DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Compatible parameter

Compatible parameter

I am trying to migrate an 8i database to 9i with as little pain as possible. I have been told that if I use the 'compatible parameter' set to 8.1.2 then it will all go smoothly? Where do I put this parameter and is this correct info?

Quote Originally Posted by lencuff
    I am trying to migrate an 8i database to 9i with as little pain as possible. I have been told that if I use the 'compatible parameter' set to 8.1.2 then it will all go smoothly? Where do I put this parameter and is this correct info?
    You would put it in you init file. But then you would not have 9i optimizer features. If you have been using rollback segments with set transaction statements to get the big rollback, then going to automatic undo will require pulling the set transaction statements from your code. If you don't then using the compatability flag might not do anything for you. But once you test your upgrade in dev you will know the answer.

Note gandolf's BIG hint there (it is the most important part of his post):

"once you test your upgrade in dev"

'little pain as possible' why bother doing it then? You are keeping the same feature set as 8i by not changing that parameter, so why do the upgrade anyway.

No point

I don't want to do the upgrade!! The only reason for having to do it is that we have to migrate from NT4 to W2K and we can'y lay our hands on a working CD for 8i. If I could find a download for 8i then that's the way I would go. No pain at all!! but I can't lay my hands on a copy of 8i despite searching for hours.

Anuone got a copy they don't want or point me to a download?

if you have a support contract, oracle support will send you a copy

Thanks, I'll get onto them first thing tomorrow.