DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help With ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data

Help With ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data

I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to help me or not - but recently 'something' seems to have happened to the database here (Oracle 11g I believe).

Now this 'ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data' error is popping up all over the place. I've Googled on the error and I understand that people get it when they execute a circular query that results in a 'loop'.

The problem is that I'm getting this error in places I wouldn't expect. For example, I use SQL Navigator 5.5 and when I log in it shows an error in the Output window that says, '9:56:29 AM Error initializing Team Coding: ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data'

I'm also using a 3rd party tool (Active Query Builder) that generates .xml metadata file - no updates or patches were made to change how that application works but now it fails with an OracleException that says, '9:56:29 AM Error initializing Team Coding: ORA-01436: CONNECT BY loop in user data'

I've been told that Visio also produces a similar error.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to troubleshoot this? Is there a system table that gets queried when a user logs in that might have a loop in it? We have other DB instances that are Oracle 11g as well and they are still fine.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

There are a whole bunch of known bugs related to ORA-01426.
    Better to confirm database version and check Metalink.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    There are a whole bunch of known bugs related to ORA-01426.
    Better to confirm database version and check Metalink.
    Thanks for the post - I believe the database version is 11.1.0.6.0

I'm not familiar with metalink though (sorry, I'm new to all of this). Could you clarify or point me a little further in the right direction.

Metalink is Oracle's support portal which includes the knowledge base.

All licensed Oracle installations have access to Metalink; I would check with the Senior DBA and ask him/her to provide the required credentials then you just point your browser to http://metalink.oracle.com and research ORA-01426 in regards to your Oracle version.

As I said there are a whole bunch of related known bugs; too many to discuss over the forum.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Metalink is Oracle's support portal which includes the knowledge base.

All licensed Oracle installations have access to Metalink; I would check with the Senior DBA and ask him/her to provide the required credentials then you just point your browser to http://metalink.oracle.com and research ORA-01426 in regards to your Oracle version.

As I said there are a whole bunch of related known bugs; too many to discuss over the forum.
    Thanks!