DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Block Corruption

Block Corruption

Hi all,

We are getting to several occurences of ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 9, block # 13)
    ORA-01110: data file 9: '/oracle/dbs/tbs_91.f'

There are several block numbers which are mentioned. The alert log shows the what exactly is corrupt. It is a table. Now because of this our RMAN backups have failed too. So how do i recover the datafile?. Do i need to go back to the last successful backup restore the datafile and roll forward from there? if so, how do u tell RMAN which backup u need to restore from(just the datafile!)? Please help urgently!

Thanking u advance,
    Chucks

yes you need to restore that datafile and roll forward

restore datafile 9; recover datafile 9; are the commands

Davey,

Thanks for that, does this mean block corruption is ok (when recovery is complete)? or is it only ok if block corruption happens via media failure?

Thanks in advance

the restored file wont be corrupt and when rolled forward corruption shouldnt be introduced

Quote Originally Posted by Chucks_k
    Do i need to go back to the last successful backup restore the datafile and roll forward from there? if so, how do u tell RMAN which backup u need to restore from(just the datafile!)?
    Chucks
    You need not restore entire datafile rather use the feature BLOCKRECOVER to restore and recover in Oracle Block Level.

Eg.

BLOCKRECOVER DATAFILE 7 BLOCK 3 DATAFILE 2 BLOCK 235;
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

Hi Thomas,

I thought of doing this. However i did not quite understand how it worked. Firstly, i had several corrupt blocks and secondly we had backups which were failing, hence the last good backup was about 7 days old. So i could have block recovered to the log sequence number of the of the last known good backup but then how would i have rolled forward to get it all in synch with the rest of the db?

BTW the datafile restore/recover worked fine. Thanks Davey for your help!

Thanks,
    Chucks