DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle hostnaming problem

oracle hostnaming problem

I am trying to set up my Oracle clients to use Hostnaming to connect to database services instead of tnsnames. I set up the the listener on the server point to a global db=test.db.krbf.com
    I test.db.krbf.com has a record on my DNS server and from a client I can connect sqlplus scott/tiger@test.db.krbf.com.
    However, I would like to simply connect scott/tiger@test without typing the FQDN. I set the NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = db.krbf.com in my sqlnet.ora thinking that it should automatically append db.krbf.com to any non FQDN service name. ie. sqlplus scoot/tiger@test would automatically append the db.krbf.com to test. This does not seem to work. Am I misunderstanding the NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN property? What would I need to do to achieve this?

whats a DNS server got to do with oracle? You need to use an ldap server or something like that to be able to use central naming. Are you sure you arent using a tnsnames.ora on the client machine which has test.db.krbf.com in it

From the Oracle9i Net Services administrator's guide:
    "Clients can connect to a server using host naming if the following conditions are
    met:
    Oracle Net Services software installed on both the client and database service
    Oracle TCP/IP protocol support on both the client and database service
    An IP address translation mechanism, such as Domain Name System (DNS) or
    centrally maintained TCP/IP hosts file, to resolve names
    No advanced features like Oracle Connection Manager or security are
    requested or required"

all that says is that you can use hostname in a tns file if you have dns setup or the ability to configure the local hosts file

From the Oracle9i Net Services administrator's guide:
    "In environments where simple connectivity is desired, host naming can eliminate the need for service name lookup in the tnsnames.ora files....
    The service name must be resolved through an IP address translation mechanism, such as DNS, NIS, or a centrally-maintained TCP/IP host file, /etc/hosts. or example, if a service name of sales.us.acme.com for a database exists on a computer named sales-server, the entry in the /etc/hosts file would look like the following:
    #IP address of server host name alias
    144.25.219.146 sales-server sales.us.acme.com"

OK problem solved. First of all apparently NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN does not append a suffix when used with HostName naming method. It apparently just takes the DNS suffix from your TCP/IP settings and appends that. (Maybe someone could verify this?) However it only appends that for the resolving of the name to IP address. The connection string sent is still just test and not test.db.krbf.com. So the listener on the server must be set to listen for test and not test.db.krbf.com.
    And yes, you can use DNS as a centralized naming server with oracle as long as you don't need any advanced features. It runs great. I am running it now.