DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: logminer

logminer

Hi everyone:

It is possible to modify redolog or archivelog files with logminer or other tool ??

I've recovered a database and i can`t see in the archivelog files an insert that it has to be there. I'm not an expert in Oracle and i want to know if it is possible that someone can modify the archivelog files and now i can`t see the insert that people say that they made.

Thanks a lot

They might made the insert to some other database..! Do you got a DBA?
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

I´m the DBA (new). I just need to know if it is possible to modify the output of logminer with some tool.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

logminer cannot not do this... If you want to issue INSERT / UPDATE go to sqlplus and do it.

sorry i think that i'm not making the question so good.

The problem is that i'm looking inside archivelogs and i can't found some inserts that i expect that it has to be there. It is possible that someone can change the output of logminer???

Sorry for my english and thanks a lot

You have enough English to read Oracle Documents, so please read it!

Nobody can change the Redo log / archive log entries. Redo log will capture all transactions to the database ( few exceptions like NOLOGGING) with out fail. Read the document and Save your shop.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c...b14220/toc.htm
    is the best place to start!

I think there's more to this question.

a) can the redo/achlogs be modifed by spurious activity from a connected Oracle client? - NO.

b) can the redo/archlogs be modifed by some editor? - YES, they are just files after all. Access to these files should be limited by OS security to admins only (and I suspect that online redo can't be modified in Windows while the DB is up - OS file locking).

c) will logminer detect that an external change has been made to a log? - I don't know. I would hope so (missing SCN's?) - I suspect you'd have to be bloody clever to fool it.

As for the question of changes made NOLOGGING - can someone remind me how that's recorded in the data dictionary? If changes had been made nologging, you would have had problems doing the recovery.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Someone would have to go to a fair amount of effort to muck with the archivelogs in such a way that the DB could apply them yet omit a given transaction.

NOLOGGING changes will result in index mainteneance and space allocation mainteneance redo, but the data itself will not be logged. However only /*+APPEND*/ inserts truly honor nologging, there are many cases where you can specify it to no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by alberto.moreno
    i can`t see the insert that people say that they made.
    Tell your boss that your users are lieing.

Oracle 11.5.10 Projects huh

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    Tell your boss that your users are lieing.
    Ockham's razor - this is the most likely explanation.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman