DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Init.ora question

Init.ora question

In oracle 9i what is the best setting in init.ora file for _b_tree_bitmap_plan parameter. Due we need to set to true or false because some of report are failing on this parameter

Since it's a hidden parameter, you should get the agreement of Oracle supoport in changing it.

However for an OLTP database "false" would generally be the accepted norm. I believe the default might have changed from "false" in 8i to "true" in 9i.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

why would one need to get a agreement from oracle support for such things.. if we have a licence of the product.. dont we have rights to do anything and every thing?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

they are undocumented for a reason, i.e. generally you dont know what effect they have on the datagase, therefore shouldnt set them.

Not you cant, but shouldnt

it would be at our own risk to face the consequences by changing undocumented things.. i know that.. thats fine & obivious.. but i thought if there will be legal issues?..

not sure what dave meant by agreement with support services..

* i was keen to know on leagal issues rather then techinical issues

- Abhay
    Last edited by abhaysk; 09-29-2006 at 07:46 AM.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Quote Originally Posted by vision
    In oracle 9i what is the best setting in init.ora file for _b_tree_bitmap_plan parameter. Due we need to set to true or false because some of report are failing on this parameter
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but did you say it's a TRUE/FALSE parameter and you want to know the best setting?

The one that works, there's only 3 options here... TRUE, FALSE, and Not set (which is likely TRUE or FALSE, so in all likelihood, you really have only 2 choices)

Test them...

Cheers!

Ken
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysk
    it would be at our own risk to face the consequences by changing undocumented things.. i know that.. thats fine & obivious.. but i thought if there will be legal issues?..

not sure what dave meant by agreement with support services..

* i was keen to know on leagal issues rather then techinical issues

- Abhay
    Legal issues:
    By setting this parameter w/o support of Oracle Corp, you may expect some data loss that may lead to business loss. Then, you file a case against Oracle corp. To avoid such a complicated court case, it would be better to get the support of Oracle corp before you change the parameter.

Tamil