DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN duplicate database

RMAN duplicate database

Hi Guys,

I am new to RMAN option of database cloning.

I have a quick question.

Do I need to copy RMAN database and archive log backup files from the Target DB node to the Auxiliary node where I will be performing Duplicate Database command?

Also, Do I need to copy archive log files from the target to Auxiliary node under Archive log destination?

Thanks in Adv
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

Cool

Yes and Maybe (you can state another location in the auxiliary init.ora file).
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Make your life easy, backup to a common share/mounted filesystem.

You'll recover from RMAN "backup pieces". And you could need additional .arc files beyond the backup that'll need to be accessable to the recovered db/system.

Ken
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Hi,

I forgot to mention that we are on Windows. So, I don't think I can have a common shared place for RMAN backup.

Also, I am using set newname for datafile command instead of making any changes in the Auxiliary init.ora file.

In such scenario, is it OK, if I don't copy all the RMAN backup pieces from the target node and instead map the target drives on the auxiliary db node with the same drive letter and folder name? Will RMAN be able to read all the required backup pieces and additional archive log files during the recovery?

Thanks in Adv.
    Sam
    ------------------------

I'm not a Windows guy, but why can't you duplicate using a network share (mapped to a local drive)?

I'm guessing your TARGET and AUXILIARY file systems are not alike (different drive letters for files)?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    I'm not a Windows guy, but why can't you duplicate using a network share (mapped to a local drive)?

I'm guessing your TARGET and AUXILIARY file systems are not alike (different drive letters for files)?

Ken
    Ken, that is exactly correct. Technically, I can map the folder of target node on auxiliary node and also the folder name and drive letter are same on both. I just didn't know whether I can do that. But, now I think I can based on your response.
    One more thing, Do I need to copy target archived log files to auxilary node, which got generated on target db node since the rman backup was taken?
    Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by samdba
    Do I need to copy target archived log files to auxilary node, which got generated on target db node since the rman backup was taken?
    If archived logs have not been backed up, then archived logs must be available at the standby host with the same path names as in the target host.

RMAN recovers the duplicate database up to or before the most recent available archived log: it cannot recover into the online redo logs.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    If archived logs have not been backed up, then archived logs must be available at the standby host with the same path names as in the target host.

Ken
    Ken, that is a problem. the archived log destinations are different on target and aux. nodes. What is the alternate?

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------

Sorry, I just read my reply over and I don't think I directly answered your question.

Yes, you'll need to copy over .arc files you want applied that are beyond you backup.

Check the docs, but I'm thinking you just put the new (different) location in the AUX init/spfile.