DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Partial clone on a remote server

Partial clone on a remote server

I have the following task to achieve. My client needs to move part of their database to a new data center. There is no proprietary good network between two centers which are 1,000 miles apart, and downtime can be allowed only for few hours. I wanted to prepare backup level 0 from site A, send it over to site B , restore there, and at the switchover hours, send differential backups over network to site B and apply it by recovering on site B. I know I can do it with full database. The problem is it is too big and client needs just 3 tablespaces to be moved from site A to B, around 70G of data. What is the right solution?

thanks in advance

Cool

Use RMAN to backup/restore tablespaces and rman incrementals by tablespace also.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Thanks a lot for reply. The database B will be a new database. Is that going to be fine when only part of tablespaces from A restored and then recovered on a totally new database?

Cool

Why don't you check out the manual for an answer?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

RMAN backs up the consistent data always.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

setup a standby db in location b, ship logs. When they declare "switchover", stop shipping logs. open standby database, drop tablespaces you don't need.
    Jeff Hunter

What about setting up replication such that only that subset of data gets sent over to another database?