DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Media Recovery after os crash

Media Recovery after os crash

i am using 8i server on windows environment there is always a risk of os crash when you are on windows environment
    I want to make a attested strategy for this scenario
    I have planned to take hot rman backup every week,month and six months
    database is going to be in archiving mode

The first option is to update the windows,perhaps if we are succeded to update the os then oracle server will also be recovered after instance recovery which is automatically done by oracle server

but this option did not work and we have to re-install os then what we'll have to do then

is there any affect on oracle s/w?
    should we need to reinstall s/w?

can anybody provide me step by step illustration to recover the database after os crash

metalink.oracle.com
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by M.Shakeel Azeem
    i am using 8i server on windows environment there is always a risk of os crash when you are on windows environment
    I want to make a attested strategy for this scenario
    I have planned to take hot rman backup every week,month and six months
    database is going to be in archiving mode

The first option is to update the windows,perhaps if we are succeded to update the os then oracle server will also be recovered after instance recovery which is automatically done by oracle server

but this option did not work and we have to re-install os then what we'll have to do then

is there any affect on oracle s/w?
    should we need to reinstall s/w?

can anybody provide me step by step illustration to recover the database after os crash
    and when was the last time you had an 'os crash' which totally wiped out everything

Your backup strategy should include the possibility of installing the OS, oracle and restoring the database backup to a separate machine.