Her are the steps to migrate on NT/2000 Platform :
- Shudown all services for 8.1.5
- Install 8.1.7 on the same home of 8.1.5
- During installation choose custom , you will find that many components are marked with "upgrade " this means that Oracle is going to upgrade this product to the new release so leave it as is , choose all other new componenets to install .
- Start Installation , It will take a while ( It took 35 Minutes on PIII 700 + 128 M Ram + SCSI HARD ) .
- Restart Machine
- Start Listener
DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO UPGRADE EVERY DATABASE IN THE BOX :
- Open DOS Window
- Set Environment variable to the SID you want to upgrade
- Start Server manager
- Connect internal
- Run the script needed to upgrade the database , this script usually look like this :u0801050.sql ,, tha path is :
Do this steps to update every database .
IT Manager For Development
Oracle Consultant - OCP
How big is your database? If your database is not very big (not more than 20GB, in which you have to use compress utility and named pipe to limit your dump file size), See my response for cravi posting 'upgrade' on 12/21/00 using exp/imp. Its upgrade and it should work unless you have specific reasons to 'MIGRATE', not upgrade. Make sure there are no datatypes changed for your application from 815 to 817, in case exp/imp doesn't work. I don't think datatype changed from 815 to 817. Not sure, check it up with 817 release documentation.
Hope you are all aware of the fact that Oracle 8.x to 8i is just a upgrade and not a Migration. Migration is called only when you migrate from a base version such as 7.x to 8.x where there are lots of changes involved. If you want to upgrade from 8.1.5/6 to 8.1.7 then this is an upgrade and not MIGRATION. Yes, you have to install it on the same ORACLE HOME and run the upgrade script found in $ORACLE_HOME/admin/scripts dir.