DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timestamp format

Quote Originally Posted by RBARAER
    ALTER SESSION might match your needs for now, but it is a very bad habit IMO to rely on the session date format. I'm pretty sure you will regret it in the long term. So as a short-term solution that can be OK, but keep in mind that this should be changed in the future.
    I am not convinced, as I'm only making the change at the session level and not system wide level. Moreover, we do NOT use PL/SQL code but java, for the application.

What are the pros & cons, if any, to support your opinion? What is the impact to performance? Is there anything else that matters, that I have overlooked?

TIA.
    Last edited by ggnanaraj; 08-22-2006 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ggnanaraj
    I am not convinced, as I'm only making the change at the session level and not system wide level. Moreover, we do NOT use PL/SQL code but java, for the application.
    Well then, I'm not surprised you are not convinced, since you have put SQL code in Java .

The point is that one should never rely on implicit convertions. You may be forcing the format with ALTER SESSION, but you are dependent on the session parameters. However, the fact that you are performing SQL from Java clearly weakens my point... The real problem here is with Java . Please have a look at what I think of putting business logic in the middle-tier and not using PL/SQL. It's the last post here.

Regards,

rbaraer