DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Open World 2006 vs. Collaborate 2007

Oracle Open World 2006 vs. Collaborate 2007

Is anyone going to either, and do you have a reason for prefering one over the other. I do more development than dba work, but I do both. I was thinking about going to Collaborate, but it seems like a much different event than it was when I went last in 2000. And I would hope that if I went to Oracle Open World it would be different than it was when I went in 2001. In 2001 it seemed to be more of a marketing conference than a technical conference. However, seeing the Bare Naked Ladies perform was pretty cool.

Any relevant opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

I am going to Collaborate07 but my backup DBA is going to Open World. Open World is conducted by Oracle Corporation. Collaborate07 is organized and ran by user groups and the sessions should be technical oriented instead of sales. I think I heard that ODTUG is going to be part of the conference this year. I am a little prejudice since I am on the IOUG conference committee. This years Collaborate conference was the first time that IOUG, OAUG, and Quest (PeopleSoft, JD Edwards) held a conference together. There were lessons learned and suggestions from attendees that will be applied to the upcoming Collaborate 07.

Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by sandarnold
    I am going to Collaborate07 but my backup DBA is going to Open World. Open World is conducted by Oracle Corporation. Collaborate07 is organized and ran by user groups and the sessions should be technical oriented instead of sales. I think I heard that ODTUG is going to be part of the conference this year. I am a little prejudice since I am on the IOUG conference committee. This years Collaborate conference was the first time that IOUG, OAUG, and Quest (PeopleSoft, JD Edwards) held a conference together. There were lessons learned and suggestions from attendees that will be applied to the upcoming Collaborate 07.

Sandra
    Thanks for replying. Is there a website where I can look to see what the Colaborate 2007 conference is all about? I already read the flyer, but that doesn't seem very informative.

My preference would be to go to Colaborate 2007, but I can't go to both Open World and Colaborate 2007, so if I miss Open World I want to make sure that Colaborate 2007 will be useful.

thanks again.

Unfortunately it is a little early yet to see a lot of information about the conference on the web site that I have access to which is the ioug.org website. What is on that website is the flyer. The venue is supposed to be better than the Opryland Hotel. I am not sure if there is any additional information on the OAUG, oaug.org, or the Quest, questdirect.org, sites.

I think call for papers is supposed to begin the end of this month or sometime next month. I have been receiving initial emails to organize the committee. I will be reviewing papers for the Architecture Track for IOUG. Think about presenting a paper. If your abstract is accepted, the conference is free for speakers. You just would need to pay for your travel expenses.

I do know that Open World is more Sales oriented and Collaborative is more technical.

I will try to see if I can find any additional information. I do have the proposed tracks for IOUG. They are Architecture, Database, Development, Middleware, Professional Development.

Sandra

I think I'd rather sit for a lobotomy, or a nice ole fashioned root canal.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    We'll start a collection -- perhaps we can make your dreams come true!
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    For you, I would vote lobotomy!!!

Maybe both, but no Novacain!
    I remember when this place was cool.

How about I just give you a roll of tin foil to chew on?
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg