DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle installation from scratch

If your manager give you a brand new solaris 7.0 box and Oracle 8i software pack and he says you that we don't have any money problems, tell us whatever you want we will buy but we want the best DB in the world for future company growing !!! Any extra software/hardware if you want : RAID, more CPU, More memory, Disk / Backup manager , Veritas tools, HA tools and ... and he says that he will buy whatever you say.

Also imagine that they dont have clear idea about company growing and the number of applications the will have but they are too excited to have a good Oracle 8i installation ASAP.

As an expert what do you recomment to them in terms of hardaware , striping, clustring and HA and ... in terms of your first approach and also how do you install oracle and how do you arrange oracle physical files in different mount disks ( datafiles, oracle exec, log, control, ... ) at the first time ...what more questions do you probably ask them ?? Do you just follow OFA Oracle. Tell me about any tricks and your approach in this scenario.

Money is no object? Three Sun E10K's with 32 processors each (got to leave room for expansion), 16GB RAM, two running parallel server and the other running a standby database. The two E10K's are connected to 32 Sun T3 arrays running 0+1 RAID with 15KRMP 9G drives. The standby database is runnig 32 Sun T3 arrays with 0+1 RAID. Throw in a couple of Quad Fast Ethernet cards and you got yourself a decent system.

Of course, Veritas Volume Manager, Veritas File System, Quick IO, and Netbackup are mandetory.

Hook all this up to a couple StorageTek 9740 Libraries with about 40 DLT drives and you got your backup solution.

20 Million dollars later and you have your solution.
    Jeff Hunter

The information you provided still insufficient in the sense that you didn't mention about business, down time affordability , transaction volumes etc., Its not the Q one can answer in general sense. Its specific to shop, their business and preferences ho w they want to build their systems.

hire a dba first before you buy anything :o

I said that money is not a concern, but I didn't know that you come up with 20 million dollars.!!!
    Can you remove the zero, give me a solution with 2 million :) ?

And also in terms of data files and system files how do you propagate them among several disks monunt
    RAID and regular and high speed ... in different disks with different capacity and different controller speed. Give me some sense how do you treat this.

Thanks

As far as file placement, best approach will be to follow OFA
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Farrokhp,

Let me suggest you something to answer most of Q`s related to this posting: Take last 6/12 issues of Oracle Magazine and there is a column in which they talk about big enterprises like ebay, yahoo. Their technology implementation and how best they are using Oracle and other servers technology in day to day business and even they talk about transaction growth, downtime issues/problems. This gives fair idea of whats your sytems to be built are in need of...