DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Certification hell!!!

Certification hell!!!

I graduated recently with a degree specifically in Oracle from a local Com. college. I graduated with honors and have been trying to get an entry level position in DBA so I can work on my Certs for 9i. I have been working on the certs regardless and it's to a point where now everyone is going to 10g making all my studying somewhat useless.

Any chance interview I get always results in the same rhetoric. "It's great you got an education focusing on Oracle but we really need some with 5+ years expereince". Or "A specialization in yada yada would go great for you to get in with us at an entry level." I have reached a point that I'm convinced that I will NEVER get an IT job without 20 specialties and a 100 certs. How can I seriously get certified in Oracle as big as it is if I need to also be certified in Linux+, A+, Security+, Network+, ball licking+, ass munching+. Anyone with any of these alone is standing right next to me looking for a friggin job also.

How do you tackle Oracle if you can only work on it at home on a stand alone unit because noone will work with the book knowlege of SQL, Oracle structure fundamentals, etc. I belong to a local Oracle users group and it is a complete waste of energy being eveyone sticks in clicks of others they work with. I mean no one talks to anyone much less open the door for networking. They look at me like I'm going to mug them when I introduce myself. WTF! WTF! WTF!?!?!?! What a friggin waste of $20,000 education!

BTW, I have been at this for 2 years now since graduating in 2004. I have put 100's of resumes out not to get even ONE phone call. Is Oracle impossible to break into if you have no IT experience? I have to start somewhere and CANNOT work at CompUSA for peanuts and feed my kid.

Where abouts are you?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

maybe your resume is a bit rubbish

Maybe you are applying for the wrong jobs. Try applying for a help desk job at a place that supports Oracle. If your skills are good you will most likely move you into a DBA job.

Thank you for the advice. Help Desk jobs are not very common but since I have no experience in IT, my resume consists of Education (Degree recieved, honors, etc.), Components of Oracle 9i that I have been educated in, professional organizations (Oracle User's group), and a few of my past few jobs. Slimdave, sounds like you have the Howard Stern syndrome (invents everything). I got your documentation right here...

I apply to every help desk job I can with no real response. I thought my local Oracle User's Group would be a great networking spot. It tends to be a rehab meeting for people witth socail disorders, lol. But I keep trying. I guess if God's willing, then it will be. Davey23uk, I can send you my resume and you tell me what you think. I'm completely open for criticism...

Maybe you should start by looking for a junior developer job -- DBA positions are some heavy responsibility that the companies generally take very seriously, as the DBA really does hold on of the company's most important assets -- its data.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Trick is to have some paid/unpaid experience(may be a school project) to get entry level work. Also, try for a developer job to start with, then you can move to DBA work. There is 1:5 ratio in DBA vs Developer jobs and do not underestimate developer jobs they pay many times more than DBA and are as critical.

Tough spot you are in, I've been there too so I can relate.

I went to a local certification school that told us if we got a certification we would have no problem getting a job as a DBA, and this was pre Y2k, turned out to be a load of horsesh*t.

A friend of mine faked 2 years experience on his resume and landed a job, he managed to pull it off too but that is very risky. He is still working as a DBA now.

Me, well, I was on the help desk hating it big time. But while I was completing my certification I became friends with one of the DBA managers here at my company, he took a liking to my politically correct charm. So the long story short is that they took me in as a trainee initially. It worked out good for everyone cause they paid me squat that first two years but I was off the desk and working with Oracle so I was very happy. Now, it is 5 years later and I still don't know jack sheet.

As far as I know I am one of the only guys to break through with zero experience, well, the only one that didn't BS on his resume anyhow. I wouldn't throw in the towel though, from what I hear the market is opening up a bit. Offer to intern, tell them to take you as a trainee, developer, ball licker, whatever the fook you need to do to get those first couple years experience.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    Me, well, I was on the help desk hating it big time. But while I was completing my certification I became friends with one of the DBA managers here at my company, he took a liking to my politically correct charm. So the long story short is that they took me in as a trainee initially. It worked out good for everyone cause they paid me squat that first two years but I was off the desk and working with Oracle so I was very happy. Now, it is 5 years later and I still don't know jack sheet.
    Mine was a similar experience -- "business analyst" -> help desk -> buddies with manager -> database job -> paid squat -> etc..

Some obvious differences though
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE