DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Assigning particular execution plan to the sql statement

Question Assigning particular execution plan to the sql statement

Hi!

Agenda.
    Some 3rd party application, a "black box", produces certain SQLs which execution times could be improved by any of known ways, say, rewriting the statement or simply introducing the hint(s). The question, though, is how to assign the "better" execution plan to the statement issued by the black box?

Is there any way to implement such a "trick"? Are there other ways which could be used in such a situation?

Thank you,
    Sincerely
    DiStas

what version are you using

Use stored outline.

Tamil

LOL

Good luck getting the developers to change the code on a black box. I have supported a few, the worst was the vanilla based SQL that Crystal Reports used to rape my database with.
    When I picked it out the developers just stared at me with that blank look on their face

"We don't know where that came from, can't you speed it up, it takes to long"

I love being a DBA!
    I remember when this place was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    LOL

Good luck getting the developers to change the code on a black box. I have supported a few, the worst was the vanilla based SQL that Crystal Reports used to rape my database with.
    When I picked it out the developers just stared at me with that blank look on their face

"We don't know where that came from, can't you speed it up, it takes to long"

I love being a DBA!
    What!?!?!?! No gun play????

We, too, use a 'black box' - I'm not alllowed to touch the SQL (except to fix the updates that are sent to us so that I can get them to work ).

I take my revenge by telling the project 'owners' how cr*p the software/company that provides it/whole project is