Long Running Query not in SESSION_LONGOPS
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Running Query not in SESSION_LONGOPS

Long Running Query not in SESSION_LONGOPS

Hello, I have this query running on the database for the past 20 minutes but I do not see it in V$SESSION_LONGOPS. Where else can I go to find long running queries ?

Thanks.

Have you set TIMED_STATISTICS???

you can add info about longrunning queries to session_longops by using DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.SET_SESSION_LONGOPS procedure.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

OEM will show it too, under session you will see a little alarm clock thingymabob icon, but it is not very reliable.
    I have noticed in OEM that some sessions will show "inactive" when in fact they are active, maybe they like to take naps?
    I remember when this place was cool.

rshivagami, V$SESSION_LONGOPS do NOT works regarding "execution time" for long SQLs, it works timing long OPERATIONS for the SQLs : this way, IF a given SQL is doing a lot of SMALL operations , you WILL NOT "see" this in v$session_longops, the views shows ONLY if the SQL is doing JUST ONE large operation, such a large full table scan, thatīs it. And more, tipically int the same SQLs many times the bd spend time doing some "large" steps (like FTSs) AND doing small operations (like indexed-key reads and the like), V$SESSION_LONGOPS show only the large ones.

Yup, I believe that it's any operation taking longer than 6 secs qualifies it for a spot in LONGOPS. Thats any individual select or sort etc. within the overall transaction.

Got the 6 sec thing from July's 'Oracle Professional' journal (Pinnacle Publishing) ... http://www.pinnaclepublishing.com/me...e/op200607.zip
    Last edited by JMac; 08-03-2006 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks for all the info on V$SESSION_LONGOPS.
    So is there no other database view that I can query to find out ?

Quote Originally Posted by rshivagami
    So is there no other database view that I can query to find out ?
    Involving these V$SQL, V$SQLAREA, V$PROCESS, V$SESSION - write a query........

and how are they going to show how long a query ran for

May be i should be specific, user has the query which is running for a long time. Why?

Need to know how the resources are used for the query? With the above views can get the details of the resource usage - i think this is what the user needs.

Above threads explain why the query is not seen in session_longops.

It will not show the time spent, of course, BUT if one checks and see query X being executed, 2 minutes later see again and again X is there, and another 2 minutes X stiil is there, sure X is a query "slow" , something is wrong with X, this is what one can do to identify "long-running" queries ....

Regards,

Chiappa