Hello:

I'm trying to install 10g on my desktop and laptop. I'm using Windows XP and I will not be connecting to a network. It'll be local.

I aborted my install because I received the following message during the system check:

Error Message:
=============
Checking Network Configuration requirements ...

Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Failed <<<<
Problem: The install has detected that the primary IP address of the system is DHCP-assigned.
Recommendation: Oracle supports installations on systems with DHCP-assigned IP addresses; However, before you can do this, you must configure the Microsoft LoopBack Adapter to be the primary network adapter on the system. See the Installation Guide for more details on installing the software on systems configured with DHCP.

I have a few questions:
1. What are the ramifications if the loopback adapter is not configured?

2. My ISP is Comcast.net. Will setting the loopback adapter as my primary adapter cause any problems with the IP address assigned with Comcast.net in regard to internet access?

3. I printed and read the instructions on configuring the adapter. One step prompts you to enter a non-routable IP address in the following format: 192.168.x.x and 10.10.10.10. My IP address with my ISP is 192.168.1.101. What should I do with this step of the process? My IP address is a valid address and yet instructions are asking me to use 192.168 as a non-routable. I'm not quite understanding this step.

4. The other step in configuring the adapter mentions adding a line to \WINNT\system31\drivers\etc\hosts file. After the localhost line, I'm asked to add IP_address hostname.domainname hostname. What domain are they talking about? I'm not going to connect to any network. It's all going to be local. Do I just make up a name?

5. I printed and read the process of installing Oracle 10g using OUI. In the step where I Specify Database Configuration Option, I'm asked for a global database name in the form of "name.domain". The "domain" portion of this prompt, is it the same as the domain name I use for configuring the loopback adapter? Or, are the two domain names independent from each other?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and answer my questions. Before I do any installations and configurations I want to get an understanding of the concepts of which I inquired.

Thank you in advance for your help.