DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help ... Production Database copy

But keep in mind that if you make Standby online, synchronisation with existing Production Db is gone, and you will have to rebuild. However, if you want to make it as Ready only this rules overrides as others said.

Make your own decision and act like the time it takes to rebuild the Stby and the time you can spare in case of Production Failure as no Stby is available right now
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

look metalink 90817.1 Graceful Switchover and Switchback of Oracle Standby Databases. it might help you.

So the bottom line is at least in Oracle 8i it is not correct to toggle the standby for performing some test .
    But imp/exp a 100 GB+ DB even if I use pipes and all buffers stuff, I think it is still big deal.
    Do I have to wait for 9i ??

You have the first option which I suggested... Copying all the files to the newbox and change the locations of the files in startup mount mode. your test database will be ready with in no time compare to solution of switching stand by/export with named pipe etc... I am not sure.. I feel this looks quick and easiet method...

Not sure, Check it up with other guys.. If you are using Legato Manager/vendor product for backup there could be a possibility you can copy/restore cold backup files directly from tape to the new server(brand new with no data on it). This makes your task much more simpler...

Update: if you use named pipe you can bring your compressed dump file size to One-tenth. I tried to export 16GB database using named pipe and dump size is 1.3 GB in compressed form. You have still limit of 2GB on 32-bit API servers.

[Edited by sreddy on 12-22-2000 at 03:23 PM]

does your database needs to be up 24X7? If so your only way would be exp/imp (if you dont have standby database of course)

If you're 24x7 and can't take a cold backup of the production database to make a clone, then why not take a cold backup of the stand by database and clone that?

That way, your stand by is down for minimal amount of time, your production stays online and you can restore the cold backup to your test server and bring it online. I think someone earlier had briefly described how to clone a database.

I think this would be your best bet.

Even if it is 24/7 support machine. Clonning is possible when the Database is online.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar