DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problem recovering datafile

problem recovering datafile

I need to recover a datafile. I took the datafile offline, restored a backup of the datafile, and started to recover the file. I issued the following command:
    recover datafile 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\PSSYS1\PTTBL.DBF'
    and got the following message:
    ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
    ORA-01190: controlfile or data file 90 is from before the last RESETLOGS
    ORA-01110: data file 90: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\PSSYS1\PTTBL.DBF'
    I am new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The error seems pretty straightforward. Has anyone performed a open database RESETLOGS since that datafile was last backed up?

Yes, does this mean I can't recover the datafile?
    I am trying to prctice different recovery senarios. I recoved the entire database, before and at the end of that when I oppened the Db I reset the logs because that was the only way to open it. I am now trying to recover a deleted data file.

If you open the DB with a reset logs... It is a Very good idea to immediately backup.

Any backups taken prior to the reset logs would not be of any benefit in a future media recovery.

It sounds like you have restored a Datafile from a backup taken before a resetlogs.
    Don't do that! Its not possible to restore this datafile since the scn information is now mismatched from the log data. There is no way nowto recovery your deleted data file.

I hope when you say 'practice different recovery models' you were using a throwaway DB...

From 10g you can restore across resetlogs, but not in prior versions.
    Assistance is Futile...

waitecj, must confess I wasn't aware of this in 10g, which doc is it in, I just gone through them but must have missed it.

Bazza

Hello
    As all other people have said, I agree its Essential Practice to Backup Database after Rsetlogs.

There may be a way out from your scenario to recover, If your database was in archive mode and you have all the archive logs with you from the day you had taken cold backup of your database.

Restore all copies of your all datafiles
    Perform recovery till cancle or till time (Time just before you took your datafile offline earlier)

Regards

Mandar

Hello
    As all other people have said, I agree its Essential Practice to Backup Database after Rsetlogs.

There may be a way out from your scenario to recover, If your database was in archive mode and you have all the archive logs with you from the day you had taken cold backup of your database.

Restore all copies of your all datafiles
    Perform recovery till cancle or till time (Time just before Reset logs)
    This would be partial recovery, data after the resetlogs would be lost.

Regards

Mandar

Quote Originally Posted by bazza
    waitecj, must confess I wasn't aware of this in 10g, which doc is it in, I just gone through them but must have missed it.

Bazza

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub...k9_10gdba.html

Its also taught in the 10gR2 New Features course at OU. It works by the archivelogs having an additional identifier to show the database incarnation so that Oracle is aware that archive log 001 of incarnation 1 is different to archive log 001 of incarnation 2.
    Last edited by waitecj; 09-05-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    Assistance is Futile...