DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN backing up binary data

RMAN backing up binary data

I have varchar2() columns that in some cases contain binary data. Does anybody know of any issues using RMAN to back and or recover tables with varchar2 columns that contain binary data.

I did a cursory check and things appear to work okay but I would like to see if anybody has any thoughts or issues with this type of configuration.

Thanks in advance to all who answer this post

no, rman doesnt deal with tables, it deals with blocks

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStu
    I have varchar2() columns that in some cases contain binary data.
    Although there are no issues regarding backup I _strongly_ recommend to use datatype RAW or BLOB for binary data!
    You must be aware that bytes stored in CHAR- and VARCHAR columns will be converted if clients have different characterset than the database!

The tricky fact is that you don't realize that with your initial configuration, but once a client session using a different characterset connects you will realize your data-problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStu
    I did a cursory check and things appear to work okay
    I recommend to carefully develop test cases, and those should include different client-connections, e.g. a connection from a UNIX-server and a connection from 2 PC's using two different language/region settings..

The fact that the rman backup works just enables you to restore your wrong data ...

Take Care!