DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Converting 9i database to 10g RAC

Converting 9i database to 10g RAC

DBAs,

We need to convert a stand-alone 9i database to 10gR2 in RAC mode. The database is just under 2TB in size.

What is the best way of achieving this in shortest possible time ? I'm looking for ideas and opinions.

Thanks !!
    svk

We have done this but not in production . The fact that your current db is stand-alone is not a problem : your data will remain the same whether being in a stand-alone configuration or in a RAC configuration. However, the install/configuration process is much more complex in RAC.

The principle is quite simple :

- Install and configure your shared storage device (SAN or NAS disk array in general), this is where you will put your data, which will then be shared by every instances in your RAC cluster. Define your RAID groups and LUNs (Logical units, the ones that will be seen as disk drives from the OS point of view).
    - Install CRS, which is the software that will manage the cluster (synchronize instances and services between the different nodes).
    - Install Oracle Database 10g in RAC mode
    - Full export/import your data from your current 9i database to the new one. Use your 9i export utility and 10g "old" import utility (since the export comes from 9i, AFAIK you won't be able to use the new Datapump utility to perform the import).

To install CRS and Oracle database in RAC mode follow the RAC install guide : here for 10gR1, for 10gR2 it depends on your OS, all are here .

HTH & Regards,

rbaraer

Export/import will work, but take forever, especially if you have lob columns.

Use rman and a common mount point (we use nfs w/ gigabit). This method will be much faster and your headaches will be fewer.

We've moved from 9.2.0.6 (non-RAC) to 10.2.0.2 (RAC) with no problems. You can even recover before the switch off, then apply the last few logs at switch over time...

Ken
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Thanks folks !!

Ken, did you use exp/imp when you moved from non-RAC 9i to RAC 10g ? If so, can you tell how big the db was and how long did it take ?
    svk

We used rman. Since we did the heavy lifting prior to the switch, it only took a few hours (~1.5 tb of data).
    Ken

ok, so using RMAN you cloned the database as 9i, upgraded it to 10g and configured RAC ? If not, Can you tell high level steps ?
    svk

Yes.
    Restore from backup
    Apply archivelogs since backup
    upgrade to 10.2
    Migrate to ASM
    Configure for RAC and run catclus.sql