DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Creating a database on NT...

Talking

Hi All,
    I am having some problems creating a new database instance on windows NT. I am trying to do in both 7.3.3 and 8.0 versions of oracle. To add ORACLE_SID to the NT registry in ORACLE 8i, I know you run the script ORADIM, with it's necessary parameters. Does that script exit for ORACLE 7.3.3? Where can I find it?

While I am creating the instance on ORACLE 8.0, because I already had one instance "ORCL" I am unable to create another instance. I know that I can defitely have more than one instance on a NT operating system. I have my parameter file, and after my create_db script runs it create the datafiles, log files but I am unable to open the instance.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    Dee.
    God Bless

First you create a service using Oradim utility and then create the db. Oradim is in the BIN directory.

Thanks.. but the problem still exists...

I tried running oradim80 with the appropraite parameters, but I am unable to create an oracle sid for the new database I am creating. It seems like I can only have one oracle instance. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks,
    Dee
    God Bless

Tell me are you trying on Oracle NT server/work station. Server allows you to have multiple instances. I don't think, workstation allows. still you can give a try. becreful to follow this procedure.

edit registry with 'regedit' go to /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ORACLE/DEFAULT_SID and change the default sid you want use. so your database will be dafaulted to this sid when system starts/boots and try to bring your database up explicitely giving the path..

svrmgr>startup pfile=/xxxy/yyy/initxxx.ora