DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Install error for 8.1.5 on Solaris 8

Question

Hello all.

In attempting to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition on a Solaris 8 box, I am getting the following error:

Error in invoking target of makefile
    $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk

I understand that there was a jumbo patch for 2.x that was necessary to avoid this error. Has anyone else seen this and is there a patch for Solaris 8 that I need? Is 8.1.5 even certified for use on Solaris 8? I am having trouble finding Release Notes for 8.1.5 on 8, so I am working from the 2.x Release Notes.

Thanks in advance!

Joe B.

Yes, 8.1.5 is certified on Solaris 8 -
    2.8 N 8.1.5 (8i) Certified
    Existing patch sets: 8.1.5.1
    May be the following will help:
    Sometimes there are 2 make commands on Solaris. Oracle requires the make command that is installed in the /usr/ccs/bin directory. Do not use the make command /usr/ucb directory. Adjust your PATH variable so that /usr/ccs/bin comes before /usr/ucb
    If it doesn't help, check the $ORACLE_HOME/install/make.log for error messages. If you don't see any errors in the make.log, then relink manually by running "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/relink all" utility.
    I would also get a full list of Solaris packages you need to have (I know the following for sure: SUNWarc, SUNWbtool, SUNWhea, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo)...
    Also of cource I would make sure you have no typos in environment variables:
    PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH , ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, TNS_ADMIN...

Alla S. Pfauntsch
    Oracle DBA
    ========================================
    "Life is what happens while you are planning something else".

Question Patch cluster level for Solaris 8 and Oracle 8.1.5?

Thanks for your response apf!

I am confident that my install was using the /usr/ccs/bin/make file. I have all of the packages you mention. I will try your "relink" idea. But, I believe that I will get the same error. It's worth a try, though!

Does anyone know which (if any) patches or patch clusters might be necessary for a successful Oracle 8.1.5 installation?

Better yet, do any Release Notes for Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris 8 exist?

Thanks!

Joe B.

Sounds like maybe you encountered a 8.1.5.1.0 patch installer bug. Look on MetaLink for
    Note:94080.1
    Subject: Patchset fails to find 'libordsdo8.a' on relinking

it's an easy fix, but a pain in the tuckus.

d.

You need to set up your kernel parameter shminfo_shmmax to 131072000 in your system. To set up this, you should edit /etc/system file and add a line like:
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=131072000 on the buttom of file then restart your system.

You may need add another line like:
    forceload: sys/shmsys
    on the buttom of the system file as well.

Good Luck!

-Peter Li

Question Thanks Peter, followup question....

Peter,

Thanks for your response. I already have my shmmax kernel parameter set to a number higher than the one you specified. Also, what does that "forceload" command do?

Are these specific parameter settings documented anywhere? (I'm still trying to find some Release Notes for 8.1.5 on Solaris 8.)

Thanks again for your response!

Joe B.