DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tuning delete

Hi Everyone.

I need urgent help from you guyes.

I am trying to delete from one of the table and it is expected to delete millions of rows everytime.
    The SQL , I am using is as below.

delete from xyz where time_key
    in (select time_key from dss_dims_time where period_year = 2000) AND rownum < 10001

I am trying to delete 10000 rows at a time , in order to avoid blowing up the rollback segment.
    I am thinking of writing a PL/SQL procedure in which a cursor having all rowids matching for the condition and deleting one by one in a loop and checking the count , if count is = 10000 then commit it. Pl let me know your ideas and suggestion as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Is there another field you could key your deletes off of? For example a time field where you could delete maybe 1 day at a time instead of a whole month, or something of that nature?

You have the period year, but I suppose if they're all the same it won't help.

Actually the rownum idea should work ok either way though.

Instead of deleting million rows (assume that 70% rows are going to be deleted), why don't you copy the required rows (30%) into another table (temp), and then truncate the original table. Later insert from the new table (temp).

This could be faster.

Thanks for all suggestions. We are really thinking of the second option of creating a temp table and inserting records into it which we dont want to delete and truncate the original table and do the insert again.

I tried with the PL/SQL procedure that I mentioned earliar, it really worked well. We could reduse the delete time from 1.5 hrs to 12 mins. That was incredial gain in the performance.

Pl let me know if anybody has any more suggestions.

Thanks once again.

Rajesh

If the table is very big do a partition on them .Be careful in selecting the key column on which you want to create the partition table.

here you can have job split into 1/6 to 1/10 .

There can be option where in you can for truncate of a partition also.

Try them .
    Radhakrishnan.M

You can try export with query option, in which you export required rows only using direct option.

Truncate the table.

Import the data back into the table.

Tamil query exports takes a long time to export ...

Any suggestions...
    Radhakrishnan.M