DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help: exp MDSYS->EXP-00010: MDSYS is not a valid username

I run:

exp USERID=sys/<....>@avl owner=(avlsys,avlgeo, mdsys) FILE=avl.dmp ROWS=YES GRANTS=N 1>backup_avl.log 2>&1

and get:

Export: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Thu Dec 21 10:35:17 2000

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.1.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
    Export done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR character set
    Note: grants on tables/views/sequences/roles will not be exported

About to export specified users ...
    EXP-00010: MDSYS is not a valid username

Enyone can help/comment? (MDSYS is schema of spatial data objects, abbrev. SDO)

Thank you

Wink

Are you sure that this user is in the export file?

try to export the user that owns the schema.

What LND saying is true. I went back and look at full export log which my co-worker did couple of weeks ago. It didn't export MDSYS user... even in full export. She Claims it doesn't need to export MDSYS still the database on which she imported works fine, as context catridges option also holds the objects that are owned by MDSYS. Not a posting that answers Q, thought it would be help full for further investigation of the isse.

Yep! Now it makes sence why its not exporting MDSYS. I did try to export user CTXSYS on v817, I got the same error. Other dba who works on Spatial objects says:

MDSYS Doesn't own any users data except the metadata, prebuilt functions for geometrical/spatial objects. That means MDSYS data is static and never change from the installation time. When you install the dataabse by default MDSYS will be installed and it will always be there and exp utility discard that user for exports as there is no need. After the import MDSYS can manage user spatial objects the way it is managing on the prv database. Same case with CTXSYS too...

Makes sence from what my dba saying now...

Thanks sreddy. Here is what in export views:

u$.name not in ('ORDSYS', 'MDSYS', 'CTXSYS', 'ORDPLUGINS')

However if try to export with UID=MDSYS it does something, even writes DBM file but with warnings.
    (Of course OO stuff is not supported well by Oracle. To move SDO application from one DB to another is really a hedache if have no special scripts.)

LND,

Yeah you have to deal with spatial data objects in the hard way with your scripts. Else spend some bucks for tools like

SDE from Intergraph and
    FME from Safesoft

Our shop used both, they say FME z much flexible to use
    SDE builds some internal relational structures out of your business logic, which most people will not be interested in...

[Edited by sreddy on 12-22-2000 at 02:37 PM]