DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ok, it's official. I hate the 10g OEM.

Ok, it's official. I hate the 10g OEM.

I think I've lost alot with the 10g OEM. We've struggled to get grid control and the OEM OMS working, and it seems so sluggish and difficult to do the simplest things. Sorting Top SQL. Looking at queries that seem to be acting funny. Quick glances to see if N users are connected. All either hidden , difficult to use, or non existant.
    And don't get me started on SQL_ANALYZE disappearing. We used to be able to take a diffucult query, put it in a text box, hit a button and have it's index usage analzed and suggestions made. GONE! Don't say that the AWR replaces this, as it doesn't seem to have any of it's old capabilities.
    I know they are trying to position grid control as a enterprise monitoring system, but what we need first and formost is a DATABASE monitoring system.
    Thank God I have Toad.
    Rant over.
    Bob

Cool

You could use the Enterprise Manager web interface (NOT GRID).
    It does include SQL tunning, etc...
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Get in line, I have been saying the same thing for over a year now.
    From the first testing we did, to a recent training class I was in.
    I got past the newness of it and have come to the conclusion that it just plain sucks! Not nearly as user friendly, doesn't have the same at a glance type features we are used to in the java based OEM, and is a lot harder to navigate.

It's a DOG!
    I remember when this place was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA

You could use the Enterprise Manager web interface (NOT GRID).
    It does include SQL tunning, etc...
    Expand on this. Do you mean Database control? The web based interface that's individual to the db server or something else?

Cool

Yes, EM Database Control individual to each db instance.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb