DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to delete a datafile from temporary tablespace ?

Question How to delete a datafile from temporary tablespace ?

Recently, I add 4gig datafiles to the temp tablespace. Due the this increase in size, the backups are taking very long.

My question is how safe it is to delete a datafile(s) from temporary space. I will grateful if you also give some help with the sintax to remove datafile from temp tablespace. We are using Oracle 8i.

Should I take full back beforehand ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by avion1; 06-12-2006 at 05:35 AM.

no need to back up temp files, they arent needed in a backup. If you are using rman they wont be backed up.

And you can't delete files from a tablespace, you will have to create a new temp tablespace and then delete the old one

Thanks Davey23UK.

We are using OMNI-BACK for backups. I think behind the secene it uses RMAN for the backups.

am I correct to assume, in case of a failure, can we create the temp tablespace ourselves and database won't look for old temp data file as it does for nornal tablespaces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    no need to back up temp files, they arent needed in a backup. If you are using rman they wont be backed up.

And you can't delete files from a tablespace, you will have to create a new temp tablespace and then delete the old one

if you are using rman, then it wont backup tempfiles (if they truly are tempfile) after a restore you would re-add the tempfiles

Did you create the temp tablespace as a TEMPORARY or PERMANENT tablespace? If it's created as a PERMANENT, then you may want to include this in your backup process.

If you want to drop the newly added datafiles, then you'll have to create a new TEMP tablespace. If it was created as PERMANENT before, you should take this time to create a truly TEMPORARY TABLESPACE with tempfiles. As davey indicated, these won't be included in you backup.