DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why database doesn't auto start?

Help!

We had a power outtage yesterday and this morning when the system came back up, several of our databases did not start. I need to know what to check for to figure out why the instance did not auto start. I checked and it was on auto start.

Thanks all

can you start them by hand? are there any logs of when the databases were auto started and failed? maybe there is information in the alert logs.

i'm able to restart all of them by hand. These are on NT platforms - that they didn't start in. I've heard something about ini files and maybe they are out of synch, but i don't know how to check those. would anyone know?

In the servives you have to make them auto .Then only they will start automatically in case of server reboot.
    Radhakrishnan.M

i know how to check in services to autostart... but where does "services" get it's info from ?? isn't it an ini file somewhere??

The info about the Services is in the NT Registry.

click start,setting,control panels,services

there you can find oracle services .Choose which all sids you want to start automaically .click them auto .

You made It.
    Radhakrishnan.M

I know how to auto start services... but i need to know is what happens when it doesn't autostart. what are some troubleshooting steps i can go through in order to figure out why ??? The service was already started... what i need to know is why it didn't start though... when there was a reboot.

Smile

Check the Alert file - This file will tell you the status of database. If the database not properly startup. This file normally will name like <sid>ALRT in bdump directory.

Hopes this will help.

You Should look for oradim.log

when The the service is started it uses a batch file to start the DB - the batch file name is - strt<ORACLE_SID>.cmd
    the batch uses oradim with the -start parameter

the batch writes it's output to oradim.log in the RDBMS directory - look for errors in the oradim.log file