DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archive tables

Archive tables

Hi,
    If I do an archive for couple of tables,what should i do to get back the space from the DB level.

Regards,
    sam

you do have the space back, it is available for re-use

Archive tables

Hi,
    Is that mean i don't need to do a re-org?
    Regards,
    sam

depends what you actually did

I'd say it depends on what you want to achieve. If the objective was to reduce the space occupied by the datafiles, then there is something that might be done. BUT at a cost - so probably not to be undertaken unless you really have your back against the wall over disk space.

In general Oracle databases run fine without "reorganising". Sam, it sounds as if you are on the begining of the learning curve - if that's so, don't worry about the exceptions until you come across them in the normal course of things.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Hi,
    My objective is to get the space back after archieving,for example if you have 2Tera of data,and if you are archieving say 400GB,what should i do to get the space back.

Regards,
    Sam

what do you want the space for? define what 'archiving you did'

the database will use any free space it can

Hi,
    There are some programs from my application which do a table level archiving,these free spaces are required for adding up more data files in that tablespace.

Regards,
    sam

well if its for the sole purpose of adding more space to the tablespace, waste of time as the space will be re-used.

You still havent defined what archving is though - what do you do to the data

Hi,
    Based on certain criteria data will be archived and will be deleted from the table,archived data will be stored in a file and will be backedup.This archived data can be reused when and where required.

Regards,
    sam