DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Adding/Removing node to a Cluster

Adding/Removing node to a Cluster

Is an entire cluster outage needed to add or remove a node in a cluster. We are using HP's Service Guard

oracle version? os? presume you mean RAC

We are running a mix of 9.2.0.5 and 9.2.0.6 database on a three node RAC using raw datafiles and HP' Service Guard.

You can add nodes on the fly in a cluster

Hope you dont have some nodes on 9.2.0.5 and some no 9.2.0.6 accessing the same database

Is your answer based from your experience? or from what you have read or heared?

you can do it (i have done it )

Davey's advice is spot on, but if you don't believe him, you could always do what you should have done, and have a look at the documentation. You'll find Chapter "8 Adding Nodes and Instances and Deleting Instances in Real Application Clusters" of the "Oracle9i Real Application Clusters Administration Release 2 (9.2) Part Number A96596-01" book most illuminating.

And to echo Davey, I truly hope you are not using a mixture of versions to access the same database.

Bazza

I have 15 databases running three instances of 9.2.0.5, and 3 databases running three instances of 9.2.0.6. Also I have 9.2.0.3 single instance databases distributed on the three nodes.

I have read that a node can be added or remove without shutting down the cluster, I am trying to look for some advice from people who have actually done it. Our sys admin said that 'we cannot add or remove a node from the cluster without shutting it down because we are using RAW devices.' Your inputs is appreciated.

whats his reference?