DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle apps stand alone installation dns (windows 2000 server)

oracle apps stand alone installation dns (windows 2000 server)

Hi guys,
    I am new to this forum, reading other posts I can see that there are quite a few knowledgeble folks here. Hopefully, I can find an answer to my question here.

I am trying to install oracle apps 11.5.10.2 on my home machine (windows 2000 server), I am having difficulty to setup dns server to support this. This machine is in my home network (regular cable internet split between 3 computers using a d-link router).

I added an entry like "somedomain.com 192.168.1.10" to my hosts file. I gave somedomain.com as the host name during the rapidwiz setup. Looks like Rapidwiz tried pinging "somedomain.com" and was successful. However, when rapidwiz tried pinging "my-computer-name.somedomain.com" it wasn't successful.

Feels like a DNS server on my machine can resole this problem, but I never did it before and don't know how to do it. Can any one here kindly point me towards some litrature that would guide me in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

you should be able to resolve this using your local hosts file. I really hate that domain crap. I had to create stupid domain names just so rapidwiz would finish the install. Now all my clients have to specify the domain although I'm inside a firewall. If I specify a hostname, why can't they just use that?
    Jeff Hunter

Question

Sorry, I did not quite understand your comments. I did update my "hosts" file, and I still can not ping "mycomputername.hostname" although I could ping "hostname"

Thank you

you should have:
    a.b.c.d yourhostname yourhostname.yourdomain.com
    Jeff Hunter

I installed active directory and it resolved it all.