DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor Control

Processor Control

I´m begginer with Oracle and I will install Oracle9i in a server with 4 processor Xeon 2.2 HT , but I would like to determine the processor that I will use. For example, I would like to use only processor 3 and 4 . Can someone learn me how to do it ?

you cant (unless you disable the other cpus at the os level)

Oracle_affinity

I was searching about Control Processor and I found a parameter called "Oracle_affinity" that can be configured on register (Regedit). We can reserve a CPU to execute especific threads. We can to isolate the CPU´s that will be used by Oracle if we determine all thread associeted with CPU´s.
    Whether someone used this parameter , can you explain how to use it ?

Thats on 10g Release 2 (you are on 9i)

I saw about oracle_affinity with Oracle9 for Windows
    --------------------
    Configuration Parameters and the Registry - This chapter describes use of the registry for various Oracle9i for Windows ... ORACLE_AFFINITY. Specifies Windows NT processor affinity of each thread ...
    www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/ docs/oracle/9i/win.920/a95490/registry.htm
    --------------------
    Can some one help me how can I configure this parameter in regedit ?

right them, im talking a load of crapola. But that only seems to take effect for the background processes, any user processes will still use ANY cpu as I read that

What difference does it make if it uses 2 cpu's more intensly or 4 less, it is the same sh*t with a different stink.
    I remember when this place was cool.

The Server is a HP560 with 2 CPU 2.2 HT and 8 Gb RAM. In that Server is running 4 instances SQLServer 2000 . I need create 2 small Oracle 9i instances and I intend install more 2 processor and 2 GB RAM in that server to support a new demand, but I wouldn´t like that new applications intervenes with a old installation.
    In SQLServer I can restrict to use only old processors (1-2) easily and I would like to restrict Oracle to use only processors (3-4) .
    I am inexperienced with Oracle, but I thought that the Oracle makes everything that the SQLServer makes and plus some things. Then,last friday ,I searched during all day by Oracle' functions.
    Can you understand me why I started a question ?

well overall, in Oracle you can't do what you want - you can only control the background processes, not the user processes (which actually do the work)

I will not to give up yet, but I want to thank for your help.