DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to determine local or global partitioned index

How to determine local or global partitioned index

I'm new to partitioning tables and I have a need to add new partitions to the existing table. The partitions are monthly with the last partition having a month/year of 2025. (NOT max value). The partition key is current date so I will be adding new partitions for May, June, July, etc. Since the upper partition is 2025 I think I need to split this partition and create May and the 2025 partition. Then to add June, I will need to Split 2025 again,...and so on. The problem is that there are indexes associated with this table and I'm not sure if they are global or local. When I use enterprise manager and right click (create like). It shows that they are local. But these indexes have partitions. I didn't think local indexes have partitions also. Is there a way I can tell if they are local or global.

Ultimately, I'm trying to determine If I will need to also split the index partition and if I need to re-build any indexes (Unusable, etc...).

Any help would be appreciated

An index is considered local when the number of it's partitions matches the number of partitions of the table it is referencing. Global indexes can have partitions too, but just a different number than it's referencing table. There is a column in dba_indexes which will tell you whether an index is local or global, and this question was answered here less than a week ago (by jmodic I think), so search and you shall find.
    Assistance is Futile...