DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What kind of tablespaces???

I read in the last Oracle Magazine (November/December 2000), an interesting article on "Locally Managed Tablespaces". It said in the article the advantages in using locally managed tablespaces versus the dictionary managed tablespaces.

I checked in my database, and all my tablespaces are dictionary managed type.

I would like to have some opinions about the use of locally managed tablespaces.

Thanks in advance.
    els

Locally managed tablespaces will give you a performance advantage in tablespaces that have a lot of extent allocation and deallocation. For example, the TEMP tablespace would be an excellent choice for locally managed.

Locally managed require less administration. Since all extents are the same size, you will never have to defrag your tablespace again.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff.
    What about the two different methods for locally managed tablespaces:
    1) Automatic Extent Allocation
    2) Uniform Extent Allocation
    Any advantages using one or the other?

Is there a lot of DBAs that are using locally managed tablespaces? And if you are one of those, please tell me what pushed you to create these type of tablespaces?

Thanks.
    els

I used uniform extents at another job. I setup three tablespaces for data: data_large, data_medium, and data_small. I then dropped tables into those tablespaces depending on how fast I thought they would grow. We started using this feature because we were working with a 3rd party application that nobody knew how it would grow.

That is the first time I used locally managed tablespaces. I haven't used them since (~ 1 year).
    Jeff Hunter

look if you have the magazine it explains so much in detail that all the information you need is virtually there. You ask what is the difference between uniform and automatic, this is explained in the magazine, I dont remember exactly what is the algorithm Oracle uses to extend an automatic allocated local tablespace but I do rememebr the diffrence, automatic managed tablespace, extent size grows exponentially in multiples of 128K while as uniform all extents will have same size. If you want to know the algorithm read the article in the mag, it is there fully detailed.
    We have a database with all locally managed tablespace except system because it is not allowed! Works fine, so far so good.