DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: urgent help with datafiles and tablespace

Arrow

Hi,
    I have a tablespace called DDATA that has 2 datafiles.

The datafiles are:
    /u02/or0/devdata_data01.dbf
    /u02/or0/devdata_data02.dbf

I checked OEM schema manager and the datafiles
    /u02/or0/devdata_data01.dbf has
    SIZE USE
    1000 998

/u02/or0/devdata_data02.dbf has
    SIZE USE
    500 200

and all of these files point to the same tablespace.

I am thinking about adding another datafile since the first datafile(/u02/or0/devdata_data01.dbf) is running out of space, but I don't know if it's neccessary or not, because the second datafile has quite some space. I quite confused if to add another datafile or not because one datafile is running out of space and the other datafile seems to be fine.
    These datafiles point to the same tablespcae, so I dont know if I have to add another datafile for that same tablespace.
    Can some one please give me some advice about what is going on?

Basically, the DDATA tablespace has 1500M allocated to it; 1000M in /u02/or0/devdata_data01.dbf and 500M in /u02/or0/devdata_data02.dbf. Of that 1500M, about 1200M have been used.

Should you add another datafile? That depends on how much disk space you think you will need. You can also resize the existing data files to a larger size should you need to. (alter database datafile '/u02/or0/devdata_data01.dbf' resize 2000M;)
    Jeff Hunter

Free space in a tablespace consist of sum of free space in all the datafiles from it. So if you have free space in one datafile it means you have free space in the tablespace.
    The only reason to keep free space in multiple datafile is load balance.

Sergey.

If I understand your question correctly you need not have to increase the tablespace size. Since both Db files are in the Same tablespace, there is no need to add worry about if one of it is full. If both are filled then only you need to worry.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

thanks to you all. Your explanation really helped