DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Requesting a 2nd opinion on 10g RMAN backup strategy

Requesting a 2nd opinion on 10g RMAN backup strategy

Hi,

I have a 10G R2 database running on RHL 4.0 AS.

The flash recovery area is pointing to a windows server on our network having over a Terabyte of storage. This has been mounted using cifs.

I have the following RMAN script which will take a daily full database backup of our database to the windows shared disk (flash recovery area).

Code:
    connect target sys/passwd@targetsid
    connect catalog rman/passwd@catsid

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 14 DAYS;

run {
    allocate channel ch1 type disk maxpiecesize=2G;
    backup database plus archivelog;
    BACKUP ARCHIVELOG UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE-7' delete input;

}
    delete obsolete;
    The strategy is as follows

1. The backups are taken to the disk and are picked up by tape on a daily basis.
    2. The tapes are recycled every 14 days hence our retention policy is 14 days after which RMAn will delete the backups if it needs to.

I would really appreciate critical/non critical feedback on this strategy.

One problem that we have though is that since we are using flash recovery area oracle is doing space management and occupies the space for 14 days backups even though they have been backedup on tape by our network administrator. I know that they have a backup of backupset option but thats not useful for us as I dont manage the tapes. I am looking for a way to have the Flash recovery area only occupy the space for 1 backup but still be able to have the 13 addiional backups in record and restore/recover when the need be.

Please help.

Thanks
    Ron
    Last edited by ronnie; 04-24-2006 at 05:40 PM.
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

Hi Ronnie

I looked up for your requirement and there seems to be no way of doing what you want to do.

Theere are 4 different ways i can think
    1Consider changing RMAN RETENTION POLICY.
    If you are using Data Guard,then consider changing RMAN ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY.
    2. Back up files to tertiary device such as tape using RMAN
    BACKUP RECOVERY AREA command.
    3. Add disk space and increase db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter to reflect the new space.
    4. Delete unnecessary files using RMAN DELETE command. If an operating system command was used to delete files, then use RMAN CROSSCHECK and DELETE EXPIRED commands.

Wel i guess sisnce you dont manage the tapes you dont have much option but to start managing or atleast corodinating with tape backup teams :-)

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks Hrishy,

Please see my comments below your suggestions

1 Consider changing RMAN RETENTION POLICY.
    If you are using Data Guard,then consider changing RMAN ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY.

If we decrease the RMAN retention policy from 14 days to say 2 days then all the backups older than 2 days will be deleted from the O/S (which is fine) but then they also will be deleted from the recovery catalog which is not fine as the backups are available on tapes for upto 14 days and we would need the ability to restore/recover from them.

2. Back up files to tertiary device such as tape using RMAN
    BACKUP RECOVERY AREA command.

Unfortrunately this would not be possible as the tape backup strategy is a part of the officeiwse strategy which backups up other things in addition to the databases.

3. Add disk space and increase db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter to reflect the new space.

The db size is 200G. To have 14 days worth of backups on disk I would need 14*200G

4. Delete unnecessary files using RMAN DELETE command. If an operating system command was used to delete files, then use RMAN CROSSCHECK and DELETE EXPIRED commands.

Issue same as #1

I would be very greatful if others can also chip in with their thoughts. I am sure someone might have a similar setup as ours.

Jeff, Tamil, Tarry, Tim anyone please
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

Hi

How about placing the disk backups only in the CIFS drive.

When you take a database backup you can place the backup in a area other then the flash recovery area.By using a explicit format command

backup database format 'path-to-cifs-drive'

You can then change the loaction of flash recovery area to some other device.

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 04-25-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks Hrishy,

I guess thats my only option for now. Would i still be able to use the flashback database/table feature of 10G if i do this.

Thanks
    Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

Hi

Flashback table feature yes.

Falshback database i am not sure when you try to falshback the database it would try to look for the backups in the flashback database i think not finding it there it might now work hwoever i am just theorizing i have not tested this.

regards
    Hrishy