DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backup Server on 8i

Backup Server on 8i

We have a Oracle Backup server. Servers in different locations are on Archive mode and the archived files are moved to this backup server. It is noticed that the total database is archived which not required. While we have more than one user in the database, is it possible to archive only a particular user or a tablespace only and move the data to the backup server. This way I should be able to use other users in the local environment but move the archives of a selected user or tablespace to the backup server.

what?

if you want backups just use rman

My requirement is different. The archive log files are automatically transferred to the backup server and the DBA retrieves the same into the backup server,

All I need is to know if there is a way to enable archiving only for a given user or a tablespace inplace of the total database.

Quote Originally Posted by shivaram
    My requirement is different. The archive log files are automatically transferred to the backup server and the DBA retrieves the same into the backup server,

All I need is to know if there is a way to enable archiving only for a given user or a tablespace inplace of the total database.

Not possible

Why isn't archiving of the entire database needed? This doesn't make sense to me. Why would you only want to archive certain users? What if you need to recover entire database?

We are looking at replicating the contents of only selected user to a different server, thereby providing access to a defined software. There are more users and software that need not be replicated to the other server.

Also full database takes too much HDD space that we want to avoid on the backup server.