DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service won't start

OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service won't start

The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service wont start on my windows 2000 server. I am running Oracle 9i. When I look in the oms.nohup file the error is ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
    "Could not start management server. Initialization failure"
    The information for the db instance is correct in the tnsnames.ora file. I don't understand it. I can log in as sys to the db that the OMS uses on the server that has the Oracle managenemt server. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjabour
    T
    The information for the db instance is correct in the tnsnames.ora file.
    On the server, just run up sqlplus (use the gui, not through dos) and see if you can connect. That will test your tnsnames.ora is configured ok

Do you have multiple homes on the server? Do you have tns_admin set? If so, make sure you're looking at the right tnsnames file. If it isn't and you have multiple homes, again, make sure you're looking at the right file.

Check the omsconfig.properties file ($ORACLE_HOME\sysman\config) and see what is set for the OEM.REPOSITORY.DATABASE_ORIG parameter, does this match the entry for your database in the tnsnames? If it doesn't, edit the tnsnames file not the omsconfig file.

Also consider, did this ever work? If so who changed it?

As a side note, you can change the repository database that the oms looks at by running the Enterprise Manager Config assistant as well.

Good luck.

Bazza

OK, I can't get in through SQLPLUS on the server, I get TNS: could not resolve service name. I can't get in through sqlplus on my laptop I get the same error. I can get in with toad on my laptop. Toad is configured to use my tnsnames.ora file. I looked at the tnsnames file on the server and all the information looks corect. This was working at one point, the server was rebooted the other night and the service hasn't worked since then. Noone that has rights to the server admits to changing anything.

Right, back to basics then. You need to sort out why you can't use sqlplus from the server, before you worry about anything else.

1) Are there multiple oracle homes?
    2) is tns_admin set on the server?
    3) Is the listener running?
    4) Is the correct listener running?

Post the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora please

1- No, only one Oracle home.
    2-TNS_ADMIN wasn't set on this server or any of the db servers. In the process of trying to fix this problem I came across that and set it but it didn't help.
    3- Yes the listener is running. And when I check the status of the listener through the lsnrctl utility the Oracle Management server DataBase is in there.
    4- there is only one listener on the server. So I believe it is the right one.
    I have attacjed the 2 files you asked for. Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok, what database is the repository in?

Is that database running?

Bazza

Ah hang on, bet its PSOMS?

Ok, can you check your sqlnet.ora file (in the same place as your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora).

Do you have the following parameter set in there?

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN =

If so, comment out the line (put a '#' in front of it) and can you retry connecting via sqlplus on the server.

Bazza

Yes it is the PSOMS. It is running. I didn't have that line in the sqlnet.ora, but I have attached it so you can see it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

from the server, can you do:

lsnrctl status listener

Just want to make sure the listener is running and listening for psoms.

Check to see if its started in "Services" on the server machine