Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porting Pro*C/C++ compiler to Oracle 10g

Porting Pro*C/C++ compiler to Oracle 10g

Hi,
    I am migrating from orcale 8i to 10g.
    My application has a lot of pro*c code.
    i just wanted to understand if
    a) new version of pro*c precompiler would be released
    b)and if any chnaged need to be made in the code and/or enironment settings to make this code work corrcetly with 10g.

i am pretty new to this so would appreciate any help.

Hi

I suggest you install a new environment of oracle 10g and then move your code and build and make files and test and see if anything breaks.

regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hrishy,

Thanks for your quick reply.
    My job is to anticipate what can go wrong rather than port and try debugging.In my production environment i have around 30,000 files .
    So probably i was more intrested to know any refrences/link where i could get more details about the changes in the new version of Pro*c compiler & corresponding changes required to the Proc code that is currently working on oracle 8i

Hi

Well i have migrated around 3000 pro C files from oracle8i to to oracle 9i.without a single line of code change.

If i were you then i would read the pro C guide for changes and then pick up reasonable sample of 30,000 old files and see if they work.

For accurate impact analysis the method i suggested above is the only way to go.

regards
    Hrishy

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    I some more doubts, i am re-defining my problem statement again:
    The pro*C code is on Alpha which is replaced by Integrity servers.Also the Unix database server running oracle 8i will be replaced with Itanium servers running HP-UX and Oracle 10g.

What i understand from this is that while palnning for migration there are 2 thinks that i should keep in mind, please correct me if i am wrong:

1) Since the processor is undergoing change from Alpha to Integrity (64-bit) this may require some change.
    2) Because we are migrating from 8i to 10g , the pro*C code may require some change.

Also it would be a great help if you can suggest me some dicuments/links where i can find
    a) pro C guide for changes (i m not able to find any doc which list changes for 10g release)
    b) some sort of guide for migration of c- code from alpha to integrity

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sangeeta
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    I some more doubts, i am re-defining my problem statement again:
    The pro*C code is on Alpha which is replaced by Integrity servers.Also the Unix database server running oracle 8i will be replaced with Itanium servers running HP-UX and Oracle 10g.

What i understand from this is that while palnning for migration there are 2 thinks that i should keep in mind, please correct me if i am wrong:

1) Since the processor is undergoing change from Alpha to Integrity (64-bit) this may require some change.
    2) Because we are migrating from 8i to 10g , the pro*C code may require some change.

Also it would be a great help if you can suggest me some dicuments/links where i can find
    a) pro C guide for changes (i m not able to find any doc which list changes for 10g release)
    b) some sort of guide for migration of c- code from alpha to integrity

Thanks in advance

Hi Sangeeta

Your change is much more complex then stated.Nope by simple walk throughs you cannot do it.You will have to take the code and deploy it onto the integrity servers and only test it.I dont think os there are any guides available from oracel to do what you are aksing for.

You may have to tweak the make files and compile and build your code and do the testing.

I once did a similar excersise of changing the compiler on a similar platform.Had faced problems because the compiler falgs were very different in the compiler supplied by sun and gcc the gnu c compiler

Check with the OS vendor if he has any migration guide available.You not encounter any problems from oracel side but there could be glitches when your compiling or building the C code with make.

I want to reitrate once again you need to have a test box and play around this with you cannot do it by other means (been there and done this sort of a thing)

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 04-21-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Hi,
    I am working on a project of migrating from orcale 8i to 10g.
    My application has a lot of pro*c code.
    i just wanted to understand if
    a) new version of pro*c precompiler would be released
    b)and if any chnaged need to be made in the code and/or enironment settings to make this code work corrcetly with 10g.

Thanks in Advance

Megha.

HI

AFAIK the pro *C compiler hasn't changed much since 8i days
    Many programs should compile without any change.
    There could be a few which might need some effort but they would be less then 1 percent.

regards
    Hrishy

Porting Pro*C/C++ compiler to Oracle 10g

Hi Hrishy...Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have one more question, would be great if you could take out some time for this as well.

I am upgrading the AIX version from 4.3 to 5.3.3. The current version of the pro C compiler installed is the xlc 3.6.6.0. I want to upgrade this as well to the higher supported vesrion but obviosuly to something which is compatible to the upgraded version of AIX. So my question is what would be the best version I should go for? And if we replace the xlc compiler with the gcc compiler, would we have to recompile our complete code?

Thanks.
    Megha

Hi

I dont know whats the best version you should go far you shoudl ask that to your DBA on what is supported.

I know for sure gcc works but you need change your make scripts as the compiler switches for the AIX C compiler and the GCC are very different.

regards
    Hrishy