DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to take up Oracle Backup?

if it is a tool just for moving data you say you lose data when you move them from one db to another?!? You did not understood me what I meant in the situation ... whatever...
    go to the oracle clinic
    Quick and easy Oracle database support and consulting

what davey was saying is that you will lose data if you use exp as a backup tool, not when moving data from one db to another.

I think he did undertstand you perfectly. If you create an export and then 3 days later suffer catastrophic media failure you will lose anything done to the db from the point of the export onwards - DATA LOSS. DATA LOSS = invalid backup (in my opinion).

If you're happy with that then that's your call but don't go advising it to people asking for help, at least not without confirming that they're happy with the risk involved.

anyway, I'm quickly losing the will to live....

But it is the same with a a cold backup not being in archivelog mode as advised by waitecj in the beginning, nobody asked if the database is in archivelog mode. Do you not lose data in such a case if your DB is not in archivelog mode and you just make a cold backup over night and have a catastrophy during the day. (And don't just copy phrases from Tom Kythe)

I will say it again RMAN is the best backup method, but as an addition or in some cases it is good to exp/imp. What happens for example if somebody updates some table by mistake (the whole table) or drops some vital procedure you cannot easily recreate and you just have a cold backup and noarchivelog and you don't have enough space to make a copy of the DB from the cold backup and you don't want to lose other tables? How do you restore that just one table (the DB is v 8.1.7 so there is not flashback table :-) Ina development DB this can be a more usual case of catastrophy than losing a disk.

So backup strategy is not as simple as just tell to people make a copy of your datafiles/controlfile and redos. Or just say use RMAN - you must devise a backup strategy for a certain scenario.

So nobody gave an suffucinatly well descritpion of how to make an Oracle backup WITHOUT losing data for each scenario that might happen. In situations like this it is best to read the documentation not rely just on short tips from a forum.
    go to the oracle clinic

Quote Originally Posted by oracli
    But it is the same with a a cold backup not being in archivelog mode as advised by waitecj in the beginning, nobody asked if the database is in archivelog mode. Do you not lose data in such a case if your DB is not in archivelog mode and you just make a cold backup over night and have a catastrophy during the day. (And don't just copy phrases from Tom Kythe)
    I explicitly stated that he backup archivelogs if he is shutting down the database to perform an OS backup. Therefore it is pretty reasonable to assume that I had implicitly stated "this guy is in archivelog mode". If he isn't, then i'd hope he would come back and say he isn't, then we might be able to help him further.
    Assistance is Futile...

we will post phrases from Tom Kyte as he knows what he is talking about and is a valid source of knowledge

And yes a noarchivelog mode backup is just as useless, but that wasnt the point of the discussion. Exports were

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    we will post phrases from Tom Kyte as he knows what he is talking about and is a valid source of knowledge

And yes a noarchivelog mode backup is just as useless, but that wasnt the point of the discussion. Exports were
    the point was a backup for different situations from which you can acyually restore your data.
    go to the oracle clinic

Nice perspective on the whole issue. Maybe we should just have saved all the arguments and given the original guy that link! ... next time.