DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Memory config.

Cool

I want to maximize the total available memory on our UNIX box. In that regard, I have heard that the SGA should not be more than half of the total available.

Also, what about the number of users logging in, what is the per user amount of memory used up ?

So, to figure out what Oracle is using, I should add the SGA + (# of users * per user memory used) - is this accurate ?

What are your thoughts, comments, experience with memory config?

I like to keep the SGA to around 50%. If you are running everything through MTS connections, you can get away with up to 70% or so.
    Jeff Hunter

Instead of reconfiguring things, you could use the MTS which has the dedicated and shared options. You could solve most of the multi connection with less contention.

Good luck,
    Sam

how do I find out how much memory is being used by every session (in dedicated environment)?

Here is my two cents...

I am running NT...A compaq 3000 series dual porcessor machine. It only has Orcale on it and I do not use it ro run enterprise manager or any of the the other oracle tools. It is strictly a server box. I have Oracle configured to use 1.5 gig of the 2 gigs of memory that is on board. I have had great sucess with this, as my database size is less than one gig and the whole thing sits in the buffer:0

IMHO, the 50% rule of thumb is fine until the amount of memory goes past an upper limit. 512 MB of memory of the database and NT to share for their processes seems more than enough to support them well.

John