DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error installing Oracle10g on XP

lsnrctl start:
    Failed to start service, error 3.
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
    32-bit Windows Error: 3: No such process

Based on some research, it is possible that we need Oracle patch 10.1.0.5. Does anyone know where I could find more info about this patch? I found out that we would need to have a valid support contract with oracle to download patches, and I'm in the process of finding out if we have one. I found Metalink and saw a list of patches, but the page that I was on did not provide links that led to info about what each patch was for.

This is not as simple as a couple people earlier in this thread indicated when they suggested changing
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
    to
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
    in the sqlnet.ora file.

I tried starting from scratch and re-installed Oracle. I once again received the ORA-12638 Credential Retrieval Failed error message during the Configuration Assistant creation phase. (Of course, this was SUPPOSED to be a COMMON error msg as someone mentioned earlier, but were they able to help me solve it? No.)

If you edit the sqlnet.ora file at this point and change SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
    to
    you run into a number of additonal error messages, including Oracle not available, database not mounted, shared memory realm does not exist, create control file failed, error in identifying .dbf files, and Enterprise Manager configuration failed.

I tried this and after it did not work, I started over. This time when I received the ORA-12638 Credential Retrieval Failed error message during the Configuration Assistant creation phase, I kept clicking the Ignore button until the installation finished.

THEN I changed
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
    to
    in the sqlnet.ora file.

After I did this and tried to logon to SQL*Plus, I received ORA-01034: Oracle not available and ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.

So I tried what others earlier in this thread had suggested, to no avail.

So you see, it's not as simple as those who commented earlier in this thread and were being sarcastic in their replies have made it out to be. Of course, they've bailed out from providing help a long time ago. If anyone else has the knowledge to help me with this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

After investigating, I discovered that the oradata\orcl101 folder, where the database, logs, and control files, etc, should have been created, is empty. My SID is orcl101, I'm on XP Pro, and this is 10g. The DB Configuration Asst will not let me try to create these files from it because if I choose Create a Database, it won't let me use a duplicate SID. If I choose Configure Database Options and try to sign on as system, I get ORA-1031 Insufficient Options, if I try to sign on as sys, I get ORA-01078 failure in processing system parameters.

Does anyone know how I can create the files that should have been created in oradata\orcl101 manually?

For now, I will try to create a db with a different SID.

Since the default orcl101 db was not successfully created during the installation, DB Config Asst let me delete it and re-create it. During this re-creation, it let me logon as sys and the db creation was successful.

Then I was able to logon onto it in SQL*Plus. When you re-create the default orcl101 db, you have to be sure to change the passwords for system and sys when that screen comes up or you won't be able to logon to it.

Ok, so what is your state of play now? And it is a common error, I was trying to nudge you to look in the right place.

Bazza

My state right now is Enterprise Mgr was not successfully created and I think I know which script to run (emca) to create it and I've tried running it, but it was unsuccessful and states to run it in stand alone mode and I'm not sure what that is. What is stand alone mode?

So, were you able to start the listener and connect to the database?
    thomasp

Yes, I was able to start the listener and connect to the database. I described this in message 15. I'm hoping someone can now help me with the following:

My state right now is Enterprise Mgr was not successfully created and I think I know which script to run (emca) to create it and I've tried running it, but it was unsuccessful and states to run it in stand alone mode and I'm not sure what that is. What does it mean to run the emca script in stand alone mode?

In order to set job_queue_processes, please go to location where you had installed oracle. There will be one admin folder with pfile folder in it. open init.ora file and either modify the above parameter or add new line with value, say 5. and then restart the database.