DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Error installing Oracle10g on XP

Error installing Oracle10g on XP

Hello,

I'm receiving an error in the Oracle install program that I'm seeking help for. The install program gets to the Configuration Assisstants window and completes the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant and iSQL*Plus Configuration Assistant successfully, but during the progress of the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant, another window pops up with a progress bar, and when this progress bar hits 2%, I receive an error message stating "ORA-12638 Credential Retrieval Failed."

If I keep clicking the Ignore button for this error msg, the progress bar keeps moving and I can get it to 100%. But when it reaches 100%, I receive the following msg: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the following error- 'job_queue_processes' must be greater or equal to 1. Fix the error(s) and run EM Configuration Assistant again in standalone mode. You can retry configuring this database with Enterprise Manager later by manually running c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_4\bin\emca script.

First, why would I get the original ORA-12638 error during this install? Second, how do I set job_queue_processes equal to 1? Third, how would I start the EM Configuration Assistant in standalone mode?

I have a Symantic firewall, but I turned it off prior to starting the installation.

Thanks for your help.

Have you actually tried looking at metalink for the original error? Suggest you fix that before worrying about subsequent errors that may be related.

Its a fairly common error, to start you off, look at notes 185897.1 and 334002.1

Bazza

Check your sqlnet.ora. I faced a similar issue when SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS). Change this to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) and create your database afresh. It will succeed.

HTH.

ggnanaraj, the solution you give is correct, its in the second metalink note I quoted. I was however trying to encourage Alan to use metalink which is what it is there for, and help him to solve the issue of his own violition.

Regards,
    Bazza

What is metalink?

"Check your sqlnet.ora. I faced a similar issue when SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS). Change this to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) and create your database afresh. It will succeed."

I actually found this doing searches on other msg boards and tried it, and it resolved the original ORA-12638 error, but it led to a host of additional error messages as the installation finished.

So, despite these error messages, I finished the installation of Oracle10g on XP Pro and created a database called cassure. When I attempt to logon with system/manager1@cassure, I get the following error msg: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process.

Here is my listener.ora file:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_4)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_4)
    (SID_NAME = orcl101)
    )
    )

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = alanv)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )
    )

All paths are correct. When I try to start the listener in command prompt, I get the following messages:

TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00530: protocol adapter error
    32-bit windows error: 1056: unknown error

I've also tried to launch Enterprise Mgr and logon to this database, but am getting vague error messages (no ORA or TNS numbers).

This is my sqlnet.ora file:

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_4\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

This is my tnsnames.ora file:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\_products_\10.1.0\Db_4\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

CASSURE =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Alanv)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = cassure)
    )
    )

ORCL101 =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Alanv)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = orcl101)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

how are you trying to start the listener? what is the status of your listener ?
    c:\> lsnrctl status

In your listener file, you have an entry for orcl101. you may want to add an entry for your cassure database. But before that, try to get your listener up and running.
    thomasp

Thomas, thanks for you help. I did make a change in my listener.ora file to include cassure as the SID (see below). When I run
    lsnrctl status
    I get the following error msg:
    TNS-12560 TNSrotocol adpater error
    TNS-00530 protocol adpater error
    32-bit windows error: 2 no such file or directory

I also found on another message board this advice and applied it to my pc (to no avail):

Try setting the TNS_ADMIN entry in your windows registry and give appropriate value.
    To add this entry perform the following actions.
    Click on Start -> Run then press Enter the type regedit.
    Add the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\Home key by right mouse clicking, then selecting New -> Key -> String Value.
    I think your network files are on
    E:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\network\admin
    (Verify if thats the correct path of your listener.ora, sqlnet.ora etc) and assign the above mentioned path as value for TNS_ADMIN in registry.
    Then open a command prompt and type this
    E:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\bin\lsnrctl start (press enter)

lets keep it simple

lsnrctl stop
    lsnrctl start

what does that give

lsnrctl stop:
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
    32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory

lsnrctl status:
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
    TNS-00511: No listener
    32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=Alanv)(PORT=1521)))
    TNS-00511: No listener
    32-bit Windows Error: 61: Unknown error